Spinach and Gruyere Quiche
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 extra large eggs
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- 8 ounces Gruyère, grated
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 store-bought frozen pie crust (or make your own!)
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- In a large skillet, over medium-low heat, heat the oil.
- Add the onions, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper.
- Cover and cook until the onions are softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook, covered, for 2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and half-and-half.
- Stir in the Gruyère, nutmeg, the remaining salt and pepper, and the onion mixture.
- Place the pie crust on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Scrape the egg mixture into the pie crust; it will be very full.
- Bake until the filling is set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Recipe by Lemon Sugar at http://lemon-sugar.com/2015/06/summer-sauvignon-blanc-white-wine-party.html/