Pina Colada Poke Cake
- 1 box butter or yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to make cake (usually 3 eggs, butter or oil and water)
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 15 ounce can cream of coconut (can be found by drink mixes in grocery store)
- 15 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained. (but save the juice)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered/confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Coconut and maraschino cherries for garnish
- Preheat oven and make cake as directed on box. Do not over bake.
- Drain the pineapple. Reserve the juice and the drained pineapple.
- Mix together sweetened condensed milk, pineapple juice and cream of coconut. Whisk until completely combined, and set aside.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for five minutes.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the top of the cake, about an inch apart.
- Pour the coconut mixture over the top of the cake, and spread around to fill holes.
- Then, spread the drained pineapple over the top of the cake.
- Refrigerate cake until completely chilled, about two hours.
- In a clean glass bowl, beat the whipping cream with a hand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar and coconut extract, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Smooth whipped cream over the top of the cake.
- Garnish with coconut and maraschino cherries.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Store, covered and chilled for up to three days.
Recipe by Lemon Sugar at http://lemon-sugar.com/2015/05/pina-colada-poke-cake.html/