Roasted Smashed Potatoes
- 12 small red potatoes (1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter; 1-1/2 to 2 pounds total)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- In a large saucepan, place cleaned potatoes (unpeeled) and cover with at least an inch of water.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to the water, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Drain potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Move potatoes to a non stick or foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan, and allow the potatoes to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, a large spoon or the palm of your hand, lightly press down on each potato to smash to about ½-inch thickness, keeping each potato in one piece.
- Using half of the olive oil, brush on potatoes.
- Sprinkle half of the salt and pepper on potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned and crisp.
- Turn potatoes; brush with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until potatoes are lightly browned and crisp.
- In a bowl combine cheese and parsley. Sprinkle on potatoes.
- Bake for 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
Recipe by Lemon Sugar at http://lemon-sugar.com/2015/02/roasted-smashed-potatoes.html/