Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
Serves: Approx 8 servings
- 1 can large, flaky biscuits (such as Grands)
- ½ pound ground breakfast sausage
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 and ½ cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).
- Prepare a small casserole dish (approximately 7x10) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Open biscuits, and cut biscuits into quarters.
- Layer half of the quarters in prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare gravy.
- In a heavy skillet, brown the ground breakfast sausage over medium high heat until fully cooked.
- Sprinkle the cooked sausage with 3 Tablespoons of flour.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir flour into sausage until completely absorbed.
- Lower heat to medium, and cook flour/sausage mixture for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add milk, and stir to combine.
- Add salt and black pepper.
- Stir frequently until mixture comes to a slight boil.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as desired. (I usually add more black pepper)
- If the gravy is too thick, add a bit more milk. You want the gravy to be thickened but not too thick, not "globby," it should still be slightly runny.
- Pour gravy over the cooked biscuits.
- Layer the remaining uncooked, quartered biscuits over the gravy.
- Place casserole dish on a baking sheet, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. If they start to over-brown, you can cover with foil for the last 10 minutes or so.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe by Lemon Sugar at http://lemon-sugar.com/2013/12/biscuits-gravy-casserole.html/