Cherry Chocolate Coconut Granola
- 1 cup flaked/shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup chopped almonds (whole, slivers or slices are fine)
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped or whole
- 4 ounces coarsely chopped chocolate (bittersweet or semi-sweet is best)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F).
- Prepare a large sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, toast the coconut until just golden brown. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, toast the walnuts and almonds until fragrant and just toasted, about 2 minutes. Pour into a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, toast the oats with the canola oil until they just begin to turn golden brown. Pour into the bowl with the nuts.
- Add the flaxseed, cinnamon and salt, and toss together.
- Pour the honey over the mixture (I like to heat my honey for just about 30 seconds to make it easier to incorporate) and stir to completely combine.
- Pour mixture on to the baking sheet, and allow to bake for 15 or 20 minutes or until golden brown. While baking, gently stir the mixture twice.
- Meanwhile, chop your cherries (if desired) and coarsely chop your chocolate. Set aside.
- Remove mixture from the oven. Add the cherries and coconut to the pan, and toss to combine.
- Press mixture into a thick layer, covering half of your sheet pan. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cool, break granola into large chunks, and toss with chocolate.
- Serve with milk, eat plain as a snack, or serve over yogurt.
Recipe by Lemon Sugar at http://lemon-sugar.com/2013/09/cherry-chocolate-coconut-granola.html/