Creamy Skillet Mac & Cheese
- 3 and ½ cups water, plus extra if needed
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 16 ounces (1lb) elbow macaroni
- ½ cup milk or half and half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon mustard (regular or dry)
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 and ½ cups)
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1 and ½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- Black pepper to taste
- In a large, 12-inch skillet, combine water, evaporated milk, salt and macaroni.
- Heat over medium-high heat until simmering.
- Simmer for 9-12 minutes, or until pasta is tender. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile, shred cheese and set aside.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together milk, cornstarch, mustard and hot sauce. Set aside.
- Once noodles are tender, add milk mixture. Stir and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add cheese, one handful at a time. Stir to combine after each addition.
- If you need additional liquid at this point, you can add a bit of water or milk/half and half to reach desired consistency. I did add a couple of splashes of milk to mine.
- Add butter and stir.
- Season to taste with additional salt and black pepper.
- Enjoy warm.
Recipe by Lemon Sugar at http://lemon-sugar.com/2013/09/creamy-skillet-mac-cheese.html/