Sweet Cherry Salsa
Serves: Approximately 6 cups of salsa
- 1- 12 ounce bag frozen, sweet cherries, slightly thawed
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cut into wedges (peels on)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored
- 1 medium red onion, peeled
- 1 jalapeno, chopped and seeded
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened apple juice
- zest of 1 lime
- Allow cherries to thaw slightly - they should still be cold but not frozen solid.
- Chop and core apples, and cut into wedges.
- Remove skin from onion, cut into wedges.
- Remove seeds and finely chop jalapeno.
- Remove seeds and chop the red bell pepper into large pieces.
- Add cherries, onion, red pepper, and apples to a large food processor, and pulse until coarsely pureed.
- Pour into a large bowl, and add sugar, apple juice, jalapeno, cilantro and lime zest.
- Stir to combine.
- Allow to refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Garnish with additional cilantro, if desired.
- Enjoy with salted tortilla chips.
Recipe by Lemon Sugar at http://lemon-sugar.com/2013/08/sweet-cherry-salsa.html/