Penne with Broccoli
- 1 pound box of Farfalle pasta (or substitute your favorite. We used Penne today.)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped (I've used garlic powder before, works just as well)
- ¼ cup good quality olive oil
- 3 generous Tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 pounds of fresh broccoli, cleaned and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- ⅔ cup shredded mozzarella cheese or grated Parmesan (according to preference)
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- In a large pasta pot, boil pasta in salted, boiling water until 5 minutes before it's done.
- Add the broccoli into your pasta water at the 5 minute mark. (If you're cooking pasta that takes 10 minutes to al dente, add your broccoli after it's been cooking for 5 minutes.)
- Once pasta is cooked to your liking, drain pasta and broccoli, saving 1 cup of the pasta water for your sauce.
- While your pasta and broccoli are cooking, heat olive oil and butter in a large saute pan.
- Once butter is melted, add garlic and red pepper flakes. Take care not to burn the spices - if the pan starts to get too hot, turn it off.
- Add the drained pasta and broccoli and the reserved pasta water to the saute pan.
- Toss so the sauce covers all of the pasta noodles.
- Sprinkle with pepper and salt if desired, and garnish with shredded cheese.
Recipe by Lemon Sugar at http://lemon-sugar.com/2011/04/penne-with-broccoli.html/