Hey, ya’ll! It’s been a little bit since we talked last, no? So much has happened in the last month. I’ve been sick, twice. Like, fever-bronchitis sick. We got a puppy. The girls had two weeks of double dance classes, followed by recital. Weekends have been full of family gatherings and weekdays have been full of yard-work, work-work, and lots of coughing.
I feel like I’m always writing about how busy we are, but I don’t mean to. Everyone is busy, and my busy is no different than yours. I’m just missing my free time, I guess – but I’m mostly missing blogging and baking! When life picks up the pace a bit and we’re feeling over-scheduled – unfortunately the blog has to give a bit. But you guys are great, you keep coming back and commenting – asking questions and looking up recipes from the archives. THANKS for being awesome.
So, lets talk about these cuppies, okay? Okay.
Snickerdoodle cookies are one of my all-time faves. I love the soft, pillowy sugar cookie infused with warm, spicy cinnamon. Looove it. This cupcake is just more of what makes a Snickerdoodle awesome. The frosting is a standard vanilla buttercream with a healthy dose of cinnamon mixed in – which makes these even more appealing. They’re easy.
I love to top the frosting with an extra sprinkle of cinnamon and then a generous dash of turbinado sugar – it makes the cupcakes shimmer a bit and makes them a bit fancy.
Fancy cupcakes just taste better, don’t they?
Well – maybe I should re-phrase. Fancy HOMEMADE cupcakes just taste better.
Really, the only thing I would change about these cupcakes would be the addition of some color – probably just a different color cupcake liner would solve the problem, but as you can see, they are a bit beige. Which is totally cool for a Snickerdoodle, but still.
These would also be pretty (and fancy!) with a cinnamon stick as garnish. Or, oooh- maybe a cinnamon stick with a little washi flag on top? A colorful washi flag? Yup.
I hope you love this recipe – it’s super easy! You don’t even need much free time to whip them up – so they’re a GREAT busy-week cupcake!
- 1 white boxed cake mix
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter at cool room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs powdered sugar (about 7 cups)
- ¼ cup milk or heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Prepare cupcake pans with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together boxed cake mix, milk, butter, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon for 2-3 minutes or until completely combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ½ full with batter.
- Bake 14-17 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, milk/cream and vanilla. Beat on low until just combined.
- Add cinnamon and salt, and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Scrape the bowl at least once.
- Frost cupcakes as desired.