Hi everyone! I soooooooo miss you guys! My life is in perpetual “just-get-by” mode and right now I’m feeling lucky to get all four of us out the door in the morning fully clothed, fed and headed in the right direction so I’m calling that a win. Life is nutsos.
That being said, I love my new job and I’m hoping that soon we can figure out our new normal around here. I think we’re getting better at it every day, so in a few more weeks it’ll be old hat, right?
Ok, it’s not like I’ve been gone from the blog forever or anything, I realize it’s only been a couple of days since my last post, but it feels like much longer. The good news is that I have a bunch of new recipes ready to go, and I’ll share those with you as soon as I can! Pinky-promise!
Anyhoo – speaking of wins – Pumpkin Nutella Swirl Cake.
Oh, wait. First. Have you seen any of the Bat Dad compilations? They’re hilarious. I don’t know why, but I laugh every. single. time I watch them. Jen!
Sorry. Pumpkin Nutella Swirl Cake.
So, this cake is fantastically awesome. The pumpkin and Nutella are a perfect flavor combination, and the cinnamon cream cheese frosting is a tasty complement. The frosting is pretty sweet, so feel free to halve the recipe if you don’t have a big sweet tooth. I might even make it without the frosting at all next time, because the cake alone is amazing.
A lot of these bar recipes require a sheet-cake pan, and I would really highly recommend that you pick one up, because they’re a great investment especially if you bake a lot. Try to buy a light-colored aluminum pan if you can – I feel that they cook more evenly.
Hope you enjoy the cake, and let me know if you check out Bat Dad. Jen!
Thanks for stopping by today! Leave me a comment below so I know you were here!
- 4 eggs
- 1 and ½ cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup Nutella
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 and ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 6-7 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, pumpkin and oil with an electric mixer.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, ginger and nutmeg. Beat until just combined.
- Remove 2 cups of batter, and place in a small bowl.
- Add Nutella to the 2 cups of batter, and stir until completely combined.
- Spread pumpkin-only batter in greased jelly roll pan (~approximately 16x12x1).
- Drop spoonfuls of the pumpkin and Nutella mixture over the pumpkin batter and gently swirl with a knife.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth and completely combined.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and cream, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread over cooled cake.