So, tomorrow is my birthday.
I’m going to spend the day making a birthday cake for myself. How exciting is that?
Actually, I’m pretty excited. I love making big obnoxious layer cakes, and I’m sure tomorrow’s cake will be as big and obnoxious as they come. And then I’m going to put a candle on it and make my family sing me happy birthday. I wonder if they’re as excited about this as I am? Ha!
I usually do all of my baking for the week on the weekends, but this weekend I had the unfortunate experience of my first-ever migraine headache. I rarely even get normal headaches, so I was a mess. I was right in the middle of making these S’mores Rice Krispies Treats when I had to lay down and close my eyes for a few hours.
I have nothing my sympathy for you migraine sufferers out there. It was awful.
Luckily, this little dessert is an easy one, so I was able to walk away for a bit and finish them up when I felt better, and I now have an excuse to bake on my actual birthday! Yay!
These are really very easy. Two layers of marshmallow coated cereal and a melted chocolate chip topping, and you’re done. They really do have a s’mores quality with the graham cracker “crust” and the marshmallow layer hidden under the slightly melt-y chocolate. They surely didn’t last long around here, so we’ll definitely make them again.
Plus, they’re super tasty. And super fast. In dessert-land, that’s a win-win!
Enjoy, and be sure to come back tomorrow to check out my birthday cake.
Thanks for stopping by today! Leave me a comment below so I know you were here!
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups small marshmallows
- 5 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups small marshmallows plus 3 cups, divided
- 7 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 12-ounce bag milk chocolate chips (or chunks, chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Prepare a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray and parchment. (Allow the flaps of parchment to hang over the sides of the pan for easy removal. Set aside.
- Over medium heat in a large pot, melt 4 Tablespoons of butter, taking care not to let it brown.
- Add 3 cups of marshmallows and stir slowly just until melted.
- Remove from heat and mix in Golden Grahams cereal.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and use the back of a spatula to press it down into an even layer. If it helps, coat your hands with cooking spray.
- Using the same pot over medium heat, melt 8 Tablespoons of butter.
- Add 6 cups of marshmallows and stir slowly just until melted.
- Remove from heat and mix in Rice Krispies cereal, stirring until just coated.
- Then add the remaining 3 cups of marshmallows and mix.
- Spread Spread the mixture over the Golden Grahams mixture and use the same method to smooth it into an even layer.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top in an even layer.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until the chips soften.
- Cut into squares, and enjoy!