I am so happy that life has settled down a little bit, and that I finally have more time to spend in the kitchen. April, May and June this year were just insane. My niece was born, my brother got married, May was a blur of holidays, birthdays, graduations and my blog redesign, and June found me camped out at the ballfields and gymnastics studio almost every night of the week. I had some serious blogging and baking withdrawal happening!
Since we were on the go and entertaining a lot, I broke out my collection of quick and easy dip recipes, and thankfully survived the month without too much stress. Well, in the kitchen, anyway. 🙂 This is one of my most popular dip recipes, so much so that I can’t believe I haven’t shared it with you all yet!
I’m a HUGE fan of the baked potato. Warm, creamy potato, topped with sour cream, cheese, green onion and extra-crispy bacon – that’s the good stuff. I asked my Facebook friends what their favorite toppings were today, and it seems like I’m not the only baked potato aficionado out there.
PS – do you follow Lemon Sugar on Facebook? You should. We have fun over there!
When I found this recipe on Pinterest, I made it immediately. And then, I made it again. This is a serious fan-favorite.
This recipe is awesome for many reasons, but especially because it’s a make-ahead dish perfect for entertaining. If you’re going to a pot-luck, bring potato chips and you’ll be a rock star. If you’re hosting, warm up some waffle fries, and you’ll be a rock legend. Like, Rolling Stones-ish.
Don’t like bacon? Leave it out. Onions aren’t your thing? Don’t add those either. Add extra hot-sauce to spice it up a bit, or chili powder to change the flavor a little.
It’s versatile, easy, and quick. After you cook the bacon, it goes together in about 30 seconds.
Speaking of bacon, I cook mine in the oven: parchment paper, single layer of bacon, 8 minutes at 400 degrees, then flip and cook another 8 minutes, and you’ve got perfect, crispy bacon, without any of the mess all over your stove top.
Oh, and please use good bacon. And try to find the nitrite/nitrate free, thick cut stuff.
I hope you love this one. And don’t forget, if you haven’t yet, make sure you stop by at my Facebook page and follow along…you can also find me on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest if Facebook isn’t your thing.
Thanks for stopping by today! Leave me a comment below so I know you were here!
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounce block of sharp cheddar, grated (about 2 cups grated)
- 6-8 slices cooked, crisp bacon, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 bunch chives, minced (about ⅓ cup)
- 6-8 dashes hot sauce (or to taste)
- dash salt
- coarse-ground pepper, to taste
- Potato Chips or Waffle Fries for serving
- Prepare bacon, cool slightly, then chop into ¼-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Grate cheese, chop green onion and chives, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, bacon, cheese and chopped greens. Reserve some of each for garnish.
- Add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
- Garnish with remaining items.
- For best results and flavor, cover and chill for 1-2 hours before serving.
- Serve with potato chips or warm waffle fries.